The WAVE Foundation’s Discover Your Power Program:
Through Awareness, Community, and Empowerment we are working to end relationship violence and sexual assault.
Our Discover Your Power program is committed to empowering young people through training in relationship violence education, sexual assault awareness and self-defense. Our curriculum is designed to reach a wide range of ages and abilities, and you can find us building impactful relationships in schools throughout the Puget Sound region. Our programs, each unique, focus on the empowerment model of self-defense and include skills in boundary setting, assertive communication, confidence building, de-escalation, and intuition honing. Each program is listed below and outlined in its attached document:
- Elementary School Program
- Coed Middle School Program.
- High School Girls* Program
- College Men’s, Women’s and Joint programs.
Contact Meggan@thewavefoundation.org to bring us to a school near you.
Five Fingers of Self-Defense:
- THINK:listen to intuition, be alert, practice confidence, recognize the red flags that often precede assault
- YELL:use your voice to de-escalate a situation or to bring power to your strikes; your voice can also center you, startle your assailant, and draw attention to the situation
- AVOID:use de-escalation techniques, set clear, firm boundaries, utilize release moves
- FIGHT:use what’s free, know your targets, be 100% committed
- TELL:tell your story, get support and healing: “we are as sick as we are secret”T
Click here to download a Discover Your Power Waiver